Thursday, August 12, 2010

Another paracord hatband on a boonie...

I've seen a few other boonie hats with cord in a crossing effect around the hat, but I don't think they started out with trying a two bight turks head knot, as I was intending, worked around the branch loops, on this tiger stripe camo boonie hat.

After tying/untying about a half dozen times, I ended up with just using the first couple of spiraling wraps around the hat, first in one direction, then the other, for the crossing effect. The remainder of the cord was worked around the hat a couple of times, underneath the crossings to finish.

I middled the 22 foot length of paracord when I started, to reduce the work of wrapping the cord, and so I only had to go around the hat about 4 times. If the cord is needed for some reason, it's not hard or time consuming to remove it, and it won't be all kinked up, like some other methods of tying.

The over hand knot, tucked through the hat's leather chin strap toggle, is where I started the hat band, and the center looped end of the cord, was tucked under the crossings, a little past the back center of the hat.

I added a YouTube video for this method of adding some paracord to a boonie hat, shown using a longer 30 foot length.






5 comments:

Ben U. said...

Thanks for all the cool advice, ideas and instructionables! I was wondering if there was a way I could contact you via email? I scoured your blog but there doesn't seem to be any way to get a hold of you other than right here. I did a little bit of paracord work many years ago with help from an "old salt" navy guy. I had a few questions about a project I did and I thought you might be able to answer... Again, thanks for all the awesome info! Hope to see lots more in the future!

Stormdrane said...

You can send any questions to this email addy: Stormdrane at hotmail dot com, and I'll answer if I can.

A couple of good knotting websites with lots of knowledgeable folks, are KHWW.net and IGKT.net. Both have forums where you can ask questions and get answers, from some experienced knot tyers that have been at it a lot longer than I. :)

clio said...

This is an incredible boonie hat. The design for the knot is unique. It somehow added some spice to its design. I might as well use this kind of hat during camping.

Anonymous said...

Man I really like that one!

Thanks:)
PMZ

SunDevil98 said...

Nice video. Thanks for showing how you did that. I'm going to do it to my hat and my son's hat now. Thanks, and keep up the great work.